Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Oscar Predictions

As most of you know, the Oscars are upon us. That's right, folks-Feb 27 is the big day! In honor of this year's Oscars, here's my list of Oscar-winner predictions.

Please note these are only my predictions. I'll try to coerce Matt, the walking film encyclopedia and general manager of our wonderful store, to post his predictions later, which I can assure you will be much more accurate than mine.

Here goes! Looking into my crystal ball, I see that the winners are...

Best Picture
The Social Network, though I think every other film nominated deserves it a lot more. Seriously, what's the big to-do with this movie anyway?

Actor in a Leading Role
James Franco for 127 Hours, though Colin Firth may give him a run for his money.

Actor in a Supporting Role
Geoffrey Rush for The King's Speech-though it would be nice if newcomer John Hawkes were to win for Winter's Bone, but that won't happen.

Actress in a Leading Role
Nathalie Portman for Black Swan. No contest.

Actress in a Supporting Role
Jackie Weaver in Animal Kingdom, though I could be wrong on this one.

Animated Feature Film
Toy Story 3, without a doubt. This category was basically created for Pixar. (Oscar trivia-the year Toy Story came out, the Academy knew it deserved an Oscar, but there was no category that was suitable, so they created a "Special Achievement" Oscar. Since then, there has been an Animated Feature Film award.)

Art Direction
This is a tough one, and for me is a bit of a three-way-tie between Inception, Harry Potter, and Alic in Wonderland. But if I had to choose, I guess I'd go with Alice in Wonderland.

Cinematography
It will probably go to Inception, though I think Black Swan is equally deserving.

Costume Design
Alice in Wonderland. When in doubt, go with a Colleen Atwood design.

Directing
This one is REALLY tough, as I think all the directors nominated deserve it equally. But my guess is the award will go to David Fincher for The Social Network.

Documentary Feature
Proooooobably Restrepo, though I could be convinced otherwise.

Documentary Short Subject
Shamefully, I have seen non of these, so I therefore can't have an opinion. (Incidentally, the National Archives downtown is showing all the smaller Oscar-nominated films next week; Feb 23rd-27th is one feature-length documentary per evening; Feb 26th at noon they're showing the live-action short film nominees, Feb 26th at 3:30 they're showing the animated shorts, and Feb 27th at 11:30am they're showing the documentary shorts. I believe the events are free.

Film Editing
Black Swan

Foreign Languague Film
I haven't seen them yet, but going by the buzz, I'm say either Dogtooth or Biutiful.

Makeup
Wolfman

Music (Original Score)
Maybe The King's Speech? I don't have a strong opinion on this one.

Music (Original Song)
"We Belong Together" from Toy Story 3. They always win everything.

Short Film (Animated)
I've only seen Night and Day, so I'm going to unfairly go with that one.

Short Film (Live Action)
I haven't seen them. Sorry.

Sound Editing
Definitely Tron: Legacy

Sound Mixing
Inception perhaps?

Visual Effects
Probably Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. They always seem to win that one.

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
I'm holding out for Winter's Bone. The underdog should win something!

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Probably The King's Speech, though The Kids Are Alright could sneak up from behind and snatch it.

-Posted by Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment