Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Don't Call Me Shirley

I was flipping through the channels yesterday, and as I flipped, heard those immortal words..."Don't call me Shirley". Gasp! Could it be? Could Airplane! really be on TV? It seemed too good to be true! Yet true it was. Replete with commercial breaks and TV-appropriate edits, but there nonetheless. I yelled at the TV, telling Leslie Nielson I love him, but I don't think he heard me.

This experience, of course, inspired a post. I realized recently I've been so caught up in the Will Ferrel/Steve Carell canon that I've been completely neglecting the Old Reliables-80's spoof flicks. As a gesture of good will towards my nearly-forgotten comedy classics, here's a list of 10 of my favorite remakes, spoofs, and silly 80's comedies, all available at our MacArthur store.

1) Airplane! Obviously, this one has to come first. Complete with an inflatable automatic pilot, John Travolta-inspired dance sequences, and warring airport PA announcers, how could you not love this disaster-movie spoof? (Incidentally, we also carry Airplane II, though I'm not as enthusiastic about that one.)

2) Roxanne. What do you get when you put a 6-inch nose on Steve Martin? Really funny nose jokes, that's what! (I won't spoil all of them for you, but my personal favorite deserves a mention: "Whew! I'd hate to see the grindstone!") Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah light up the screen in this modern-day Cyrano de Bergerac tale. A must-see!

3) Tootsie. Dustin Hoffman masquerading as an old lady. What more needs to be said?

4) Robin Hood: Men in Tights. I realize that this film is A) from the 90's and B) elicits mixed reviews, but I love this one. (I'll take Cary Elwes in tights any day.) I just can't get enough of the Sheriff of Rottingham words up all mixing his (brownie points if you got that), Will Scarlett O'Hara, and the gigantic Little John. Good fun for the whole family! (Especially if you're not so psyched about the whole Russell-Crowe-as-Robin-Hood thing....)

5) History of the World: Part 1. Though I'm still waiting in angst for History of the World Part 2: Jews in Space, this film never fails to entertain me. It's world history told through the eyes of Mel Brooks, so really, what more do you need?

6) Clue. I love, I repeat, LOVE this movie. I will come clean and say that this is one of those movies I watch when I'm sick, cleaning the house, need background noise, or am feeling some plain old Tim Curry withdrawal. Based on the board game, it's got a cast that can't be beaten. (Tim Curry as the butler, Christopher Lloyd as Professor Plum, and Madeleine Kahn as Mrs. White-can't get much better than that.)

7) Hook. Made in 1991, it's a little past the 80's mark, but it deserves inclusion anyway. An old family favorite, this film shows what happens after Peter Pan (Robin Williams) leaves Neverland and grows up. Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell and Dustin Hoffman as Captain Hook, with a cameo from Maggie Smith as Wendy, round out this all-star cast in a film that's great for the kids and just as much fun for the grown-ups. And how often does that happen?

8) The Princess Bride. What list of 80's classics would be complete without mention of Robin Wright's big-screen debut? This film combines swashbuckling swordplay, kidnapping plots, giants, pirates, princesses, and witty one-liners into a film that is truly one of the great American classics. There is no one too old or too young to enjoy this movie. (And a plus, the book it's based on is a fantastic family read as well!)

9) Stripes. This early 80's classic puts Bill Murray, John Candy, and a host of other comedians in the last place they want to be-the Army! And the audience gets to watch as they bumble, fumble, and generally muck things up. Great comedy for a Saturday night, though you may want to watch it after the kids are in bed, as there is some language and sexual content.

10) Weird Science. No 80's list is worth its weight in salt without a John Hughes movie included. This comedy about 2 teenagers who use their computer to build a woman (played by Kelly LeBrock) will have you rolling on the floor.

-Posted by Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment